Nutshell News

Daily Nutshell News: A new day, a new govt.

On The Rock

Full house 

Finally, we have a government and this time it’s official. The swearing in ceremony for the 19 elected officials took place on Wednesday 31 May at the L.A. So who’s the King in this deck? The Hon. Alden McLaughlin. This is the first time in a long time that an incumbent retained political power. This election also makes history because it’s the first one done under the new electoral system of One-Man-One-Vote (OMOV) and Single-Member Constituencies. Since the PPM did not secure a majority in the house they did some trading and managed to get a few independents on their side (think: Tara Rivers, Dwayne Seymour, Austin Harris).

The key cards…

The ministers in this coalition government are expected to be Premier Mr. McLaughlin, Deputy Premier Moses Kirkconnell, Cayman Brac East MLA Juliana O’Connor-Connolly, Bodden Town East MLA Dwayne Seymour, George Town East MLA Roy McTaggart, George Town North MLA Joey Hew and West Bay South MLA Tara Rivers.

The speaker of house is the Cayman Democratic Leader Hon. McKeeva Bush, with West Bay North MLA, Bernie Bush as Deputy Speaker.

The opposition will be headed by North Side MLA Ezzard Miller; with East End MLA Arden McLean, Bodden Town West MLA Chris Saunders and George Town Central MLA Kenneth Bryan also in the deck.

In a Nutshell:

The Premier and Mr. McKeeva Bush have been long time rivals in the political arena. Some say it’s good to see them put their differences aside for this govt. of National Unity while others are wondering how long this truce will last.

Imitation is not always the sincerest form of flattery

Just ask Fabian Thompson, who was sentence to five and a half years in prison this week. Thompson was charged with possession of an imitation weapon with intent to resist arrest.

The Story…

During a search of Thompson’s home, he fled the scene with what appeared to be a 9mm handgun. The police tasered him as fled with the gun, but Thompson was able to remove the wires and continued running.  When police finally caught him the gun could not be found. CCTV footage did corroborate the police officers’ the events that took place that night.

 

Bret, Cindy, Don, Emily, Franklin, Gert, Harvey, Irma, Jose, Katia, Lee, Maria, Nate, Ophelia, Philippe, Rina, Sean, Tammy, Vince and Whitney

No, those aren’t this year’s most popular names. They’re potential storm names for the 2017 Atlantic Hurricane season which starts today, 1 June. Experts recently predicted a 45% chance of an above-normal season, a 35% chance of a near-normal season, 20% chance of a below-normal season. They also say there’s a 70% chance of 11 to 17 named storms, with about nine potentially becoming hurricanes and about four of those could be major hurricanes.

In a Nutshell:

Don’t get complacent.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s